Summer Break (Josh)

Over my very short summer break (two weeks), I went with my brother Dan to the Rocky Mountains to climb Mt.Bierstadt. We drove out on Sunday and camped in the Arapaho National Forest. Our camp site was beside a high mountain stream which was amazing.
The next morning we tried to drive to the trail head but found the road closed with snow, so we set out on foot. Going was very slow, the snow was too hard to walk on and too deep to walk through. We just had to "post hole" for most of the way, which was both exhausting and time consuming.
There was amazing high alpine scenery all around us, mountains and snow fields in every direction. As we climbed higher the view only got better. We stopped to cook and eat lunch at around 12:00, before continuing toward the summit. 
After a short stay on the top, we had to get moving because of the cold, we started the descent.

The next morning we trekked back to the car. Our faces were so sunburned and painful that we headed for home instead of climbing another smaller mountain like we had planned. Over all it was a great trip except for the sunburn, next time we'll use sun screen with higher than 30 spf. This trip was Dan's first time in the mountains, I was a little worried about him but he did a great job on a grueling climb. He said it was the hardest thing that he's ever done, I agree with him, even harder then the 6 hour cross country mountain bike race, which is really the only other thing close. If pictures are worth a thousand words than this has been a long post, I'm not sure when I'll post again as I'm now back at the grindstone of work and school.



1 Comments:
Those are some amazing and awe-inspiring pictures. Looks like a grand time in God's great outdoors! :-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home